Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Good Holiday Recipes!

Last night was my turn to host Bunco. I thought I'd post the recipes that I made for dinner that night, cause they are good ones to use this time of year.

The main course was Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice soup and I used bread bowls this time! Yum! I actually posted that recipe already here. I found the bread bowls at Bashas too.

I made a Cranberry salad also and for dessert I made Chocolate Mint Brownies! Yummo, those were good! So here are those two recipes. All are great things to serve this time of year. Enjoy!

Cranberry Salad

1 bag whole cranberries
1 regular sized bag mini marshmallows
1/2 cup sugar
1 pint whipping cream
1 apple
4 cups grapes (You can slice them in half to make them easier to eat)
1/2 cup pecans (Optional. I don't use cause I don't like them)

Grind up the cranberries in a food processor or blender. Mix in sugar (can use less or more if you want) and marshmallows. Refrigerate overnight. Mix in grapes, one apple chopped into bite-sized pieces, and pecans. Whip up the whipping cream and mix it in (do not need to sweeten the cream, the marshmallows and sugar sweeten the salad). Instead of the grapes and pecans, I put in one large can of pineapple chunks.

Chocolate Mint Brownies

Bottom layer:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (16-ounce) can chocolate syrup

Mint layer:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 drops green food coloring

Glaze:
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons butter

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. To prepare bottom layer, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and salt; stir with a whisk. Combine granulated sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, 2 tablespoons water, vanilla, eggs, and chocolate syrup in a medium bowl; stir until smooth. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture, stirring until blended. BATTER WILL BE VERY THIN! Pour batter into a 13 x 9–inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

3. To prepare mint layer, combine powdered sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, and next 3 ingredients (through food coloring) in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer until smooth. Spread mint mixture over cooled cake. (You can substitute vanilla extract for the mint extract if you want the non-mint version.)

4. To prepare the glaze, combine the chocolate chips and 3 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until melted, stirring after 30 seconds. Let stand 2 minutes. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over top. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. They taste better chilled. Cut into 20 pieces.

This was the first time I made these brownies, and they really were so good! I think I will make them on Christmas. They have changed my life for the better. Okay, not really, but close! :) I have no pictures either, sorry. Happy Holidays everyone!

2 comments:

Sueann said...

Yummy! and Fun! ;)

utah beach kids said...

I think I'll try the brownies....love mint! Yumm-o

Background