Friday, October 31, 2008

Nie Nie Dialogues

So I have been reflecting on my life lately. I've been following the Nie Nie Dialogues. It's the blog that is done by Stephanie Nielsen, aka Nie Nie. She lives in Mesa and her and her husband Christian were in a terrible airplane crash back in August. The pilot was killed and they were both badly burned. Christian wasn't as burned as her but Stephanie was burned over 80% of her body and is BARELY coming out of her coma just this week. She has been going through various skin graphs. Her blog is inspiring. She is such a sweet mother to her 4 children and a sweet wife to Christian. They've been having various fund raisers for them. The medical costs are astounding. Her sister C Jane keeps her blog full of updates on Nie Nie.

As I read the updates and I read Nie Nie's blog, I think to myself, if something like that happened to me, how would I want to be remembered? Would I want people to remember that I was a pretty good cook? What about a great housekeeper (that's not even true), or what about a great swim teacher? Well, those things are trivial. What I'd want people to remember me as is that I'm a great mother and a great wife. Those are the things that matter most to me. They go hand in hand. I need to work on both. I would also like to be known for being a great friend and someone who is caring and who puts others before myself. I have some things to work on, that's for sure. There are definitely things that I need to improve on. I know that especially after reading about Nie Nie's life. She has a great life and lives it to the fullest with her children and husband. She puts them first over everything. It sounds like she is going to pull through, but has a long recovery still. Christian is out of the hospital and is in rehab now. He is staying here in AZ with his parents and all of the kids are with her family in Utah. How sad that they can't be closer to their parents. She has many more months to recover and with 80% or her body burned, will she ever be completely back to normal? I'm just glad those kids will have their parents back, I can't imagine those 4 kids being on this earth without their mother. The oldest is only 7!

If you haven't heard of or haven't read either blog, you should check them both out. I feel so lucky that I have my health and that I have a wonderful husband and two great kids who keep me laughing every day. I'm very blessed and very thankful!

1 comment:

Background