Thursday, November 13, 2008

SKATELAND!

Since there was no school on Tuesday due to Veterans Day, the kids and I met some friends at the Chandler Skateland! Since it was a holiday, it only cost $1 to get in if you were there before 10:30am. That is a deal, so off we went! Now, I remember going to Skateland when I was younger and LOVING it. I haven't been there in years. Going there today brought back TONS of memories. What I don't remember though is the cheesiness of it. HAHA! Was it always that cheesy and I just don't remember it being like that, or was it that cheesy but as a kid we think that stuff is cool? When they started playing YMCA, I instantly felt old. They even did the Hokey Pokey! I haven't done that in years! The music was really loud and when they turned the lights off and had the disco ball going, I thought, oh boy I'm at a 70's disco! It kind of made me dizzy skating around with the disco ball. The kids loved it though. Oh and yes, I DID rollerblade! I haven't in awhile, but yeah, I still got it. ;) I didn't fall once and I went pretty fast. The kids haven't really taken to rollerblading or rollerskating, so they fell quite a bit at first but they eventually got it and did pretty well. Jacob traded in the blades for skates and did much better with that. Cole stuck it out on the blades and in no time both of them got to where they didn't fall too much. It cracks me up that I grew up always going to Skateland and loving it and now years later our kids are enjoying that place. Ahh, great times there at good ole Skateland! Anyone else have fond, or not so fond, memories of that place? :) Is the one in Mesa even there anymore?

Here are some pictures. Some didn't turn out too great cause like I said it was dark most of the time so I had to do some photoshopping in a few.

Check out those sweet skates! They look the same as they did 25 years ago!

Cole is stylin' with Rollerblades. Those weren't around all those years ago when I was a kid.

It was a bit dark in there. Remember those painted walls? Yep, they still look the same! :)

They have their balance pretty well here.

Here comes Cole doing pretty well, then BAM! He starts to lose it and almost takes Jacob with him. Jacob was holding onto the wall pretty tight trying hard not to fall too! HAHA!

Good times had by all! :)

3 comments:

Amy said...

That looks so fun! I actually bought myself a pair of roller blades at a thrift store, so I can have fun on our patio with the kids.

Sueann said...

Fun times at skateland! Funny memories there...they look so cute! :)

karen said...

I haven't been to skateland in 20 years! LOL Last time I was there I fell down something awful during the last verse of the hokey pokey and had a perfectly round shaped roller skate wheel bruise on my thigh.

The one in mesa is still there. I pass it every once in a while!

Background